I prepared this quite some time ago (a couple of days after the 2nd day of Chinese New Year). I found extra mandarin oranges lazing around on the table and so I decided to put them to good use. And if you haven’t realized, the title is a remake of “Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence”.
1 Mandarin Orange
Marinade (Salt, Sugar, Pepper, Sesame Oil)
1) Coat the codfish with salt, sugar and pepper evenly on both sides of the fish. Leave the fish in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
2) Squeeze the Mandarin Orange segments (leave 2 segments aside for decorative purposes) and collect the juice.
3) Just before cooking, wash the codfish with running water to get rid of the salt covering (so that the saltiness will not quench the sweetness of the mandarin orange sauce)
1) Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan on high heat for 1 minute, then switch to low heat. Place the fish into the pan and cover immediately. Leave for around 2 minutes.
2) Cook the other side for the same amount of time. The fish should be nicely browned. Once done, remove from heat. Set the fish on a plate.
3) Prepare a clean pan on low heat and reduce a mixture of orange juice and 2 Tablespoons of Mirin (cook the remaining 2 mandarin orange segments as well). Remove from heat and pour the sauce on the fish.